Test Automation Services involves tools to run and execute test cases. The goal of test automation is to reduce the time taken to execute manual test cases but not to eliminate manual testing completely.
Below are the common Test Automation Myths
Test Automation will help in getting more free time
It is the major misconception that test automation gives more free time. In manual testing, most of the time is spent performing repeated functional and exploratory testing.
Test Automation helps in reducing the time taken for repetitive test case execution. Automation involves coding and periodic improvements and adjustments in the code.
However, these codes can be recycled and reused again to test similar kind of scenario
The cost of Automated Testing is very high
Initially, automated testing is a bit of prohibitive, but over a period test automation pays for itself.
Automation helps you to concentrate on bigger issues such as end user requirements or functionality improvements.
Automation reduces the cost involved in multiple code revisions.
Automated testing is better than manual testing –
Literally, we cannot compare manual and automated testing since both are different.
Each of them has their pros and cons. Both of them have their distinguished role based on the size and complexity of the application.
Automated Testing removes Human Intervention
Automation only facilitates a collaborative approach by including the features of the test automation tools.
Test automation framework features
Now that we have seen enough about manual testing and automated testing, let’s move into a step ahead.
Let’s explore the key features of an effective test automation framework –
- Test Automation framework should handle scripts and data separately
- Should be able to create libraries
- The framework should always follow coding standards
- Should offer high extensibility for testing
- Should be written in such a way that I could be reused
- Should involve less maintenance
- Should have script or version control attribute
In current automated regression testing scenario, test automation framework is becoming an integral component of testing tools.
By following the above-mentioned guidelines, one can create an efficient automation framework to reap immense benefit out of a testing tool.
Automation testing methodology
Test automation methodology is basically determined based on the tools used, approach and the usage.
Here is a list of top test automation tools that can help achieving automation objectives
This is an open source tool used suitable for testing browsers.
Telerik Test Studio
This is the most intuitive automation tools available in the market. It offers most robust functional testing, UI testing, exploratory testing, load testing, performance testing, testing visual studio and mobile testing.
QTP is the market leader and is widely used for most of the test environment. The tool is suitable for both web based and client/server based application
It is the most popular tool used to test android apps which supports both native and hybrid apps
It is another popular open source test platform which supports creating reusable test cases for desktop, mobile and web applications.
An all-purpose tool and is well known for its regression test automation efficiency.
This tool is very useful while performing configuration testing for ecommerce and ERP application
Apart from the above mentioned tools, Jmeter, LoadStrom, SoapUI, TestDrive, FitNesse, Visual Studio Test Professional are some tools which are available in the market.
Top Tips to Ensure Successful Test Automation with Maximum Returns
Test Case Selection
It is not possible to automation entire testing process hence it is very important to select the test case properly. Few test cases should be given more attention whereas some test cases can be handled manually.
To get most out of Test Automation the following test cases should be considered for automation –
- Repetitive Tests
- Tests which can cause human erro
- Tests which require multiple dataset
- Functionality test which can induce high risk conditions
- Test which cannot be run manually
Test timely and frequently
Early and frequent testing helps in detecting bugs in the early stages and reduces the cost of bug fixing.
Test tool Selection
There are lot of testing automation tools available in the market but choosing the right tool which suites the business requirement is a key for test automation success
Creation of Good and Quality Test Data
A quality test data is extremely important for an efficient test plan. This data is understood by the test tool and iterates the content while performing automation
UI should not affect Automation Tests
The automation test controls should be named uniquely named so that the tests are resistant to the UI changes. Doing this will eliminate the automation tool relying on the unstable location coordinates providing a seamless automated testing process flow.
Why Selenium for Test Automation?
Selenium is a most robust set of open source tool that supports rapid implementation of test automation of web- applications. It provides rich set of testing functionality specific for web application testing.
Components of Selenium
- Selenium IDE
- Selenium Remote Control
- Selenium Grid
Automation Testing Techniques
As we know, automated testing, especially framework-based, offers several benefits. There is a reduction in testing effort, testing schedule, better regression testing, greater test coverage and improved productivity.
However, as the demands of customers for better products increases, the need for constant improvement and innovative ways to speed up the testing process increases.
A survey across three years from 2014-2016 shows that while in 2014, the releases were not even monthly, in 2015, 57 per cent were reported to have released code into production either weekly, several times a week, or even several times in a day.
About a quarter were said to release code monthly, while only 10 per cent releasing it quarterly. By 2016, 66 per cent were deploying code weekly or more frequently.
To match this pace, the automation element in testing needs to go up as well as advanced techniques need to be introduced to make it more efficient.
Why and when Automated Testing?
- Frequent regression testing
- Repeated test case Execution is required
- User Acceptance Tests
- Faster Feedback to the developers
- Reduce the Human Effort
- Test same application on multiple environments
Benefits of Test Automation
Test Automation increases the overall efficiency of testing and confirms robust software quality.
There are lot of tools and techniques available in the market to make it a grand success.
These tools and techniques help in executing the tests early, frequently, effectively and efficiently. It also helps us compare the expected and actual result
Let us discuss about the biggest perks of software test automation
- Quick Feedback – Automation helps to improve the communication between the coders, software designers and developers. It allows early detection of potential glitches with maximum accuracy that can be fixed immediately. The efficiency of the development team is taken care of with the help of automation.
- Accelerated Outputs– With the help of automated testing efficient repeated testing can be carried out which delivers faster results with lesser effort and time
- Reduce Business Expenses– Automation helps in reducing the time taken to perform repeated functional and exploratory testing. An efficient test automation process with recycled and reusable codes will help in reducing the testing efforts while testing similar kind of scenarios, thereby reducing the overall cost of testing as well as development
- Faster-Time-to-Market– Helps reducing time-to-market of an application by allowing constant and faster with the help of test library.
- Thoroughness– Test Automation includes guaranteed focus on all areas of testing, henceforth assuring best software quality.
A testing tool accompanied by clear-cut measurable objectives, automation readiness, a well thought out framework for test automation, a way of storing & managing test data, and industry best practices & methodologies will lead to success of test automation.