Test automation isn’t as easy or as economical as some might think.
It should only be used where necessary and applicable. And, most importantly, it isn’t a replacement for manual testing. Rather, it complements manual testing.
An automation framework and the right automation testing services partner are essential in enhancing the process of test automation.
In this blog, we’ll see why a test automation framework is required and how Indium’s AI-driven test automation framework iSAFE can help in speeding the automation process.
Test Automation Framework – What it is
Understanding what a framework is important before we start discussing the importance of an automation framework.
From a general perspective, a framework is a set of rules and standards that should be followed by an enterprise to get the best value for their money.
It is a set of established guidelines and protocols that must be adhered to.
A test automation framework can be defined as a structure that provides an environment where automated test scripts can be executed.
It is a set of components that makes testing and report generation faster. These components include testing tools, procedures, scripts, equipment and automation engineers.
Indium follows a process-oriented approach for the successful deployment of Test Automation
Why do we need a Test Automation Framework?
Test automation frameworks are used in situations where multiple test cycles must be conducted for a large number of test cases.
With the help of a framework, test automation will increase a team’s test efficiency and speed, reduce test maintenance costs and improves test accuracy.
They are vital to an efficient test automation process.
A test automation framework will make your processes and applications easier to test, more readable, scalable, reusable and maintainable.
Automation frameworks are used to run commands and scripts several times with various builds to validate the output and test applications.
It takes a lot of time to develop an automation framework so, it is advised not to automate functionalities that are used only once.
Moreover, automation consumes a lot of time, effort and resources. Hence, automation should only be used for functionalities that are used multiple times.
Now, here arises a question. If automation frameworks are so time-consuming and resource-consuming, why can’t a simple script work?
Scripts aren’t best suited for test cases where you are testing a lot of scenarios.
If you create a script for every scenario, your application test suite will become too large.
If there is any change in the property or application of any of the objects, you must modify all the scripts and that will be cumbersome. To avoid that, test automation frameworks are used.
Benefits of Test Automation Frameworks
Test automation frameworks allow one to reuse test codes for multiple scenarios.
Frameworks also help for easy maintenance when there are changes to the application under test.
When various people are working on the same suite, frameworks are used to write down scripts in a standard format.
A framework can be integrated with various APIs and it can also generate a report. Once your base structure is ready, an engineer can easily use a framework to write down test cases for similar scenarios.
iSAFE (Indium’s Software Automation Framework Enhanced)
iSAFE or Indium’s Software Automation Framework Enhanced is a portable and customizable software testing framework that can be used for both mobile and web applications. iSAFE works on any scripting language.
It can be used for both opensource and commercial tools such as Ranorex, Selenium Grid, QTP, Appium, TestComplete, SilkTest, and Selenium.
iSAFE also supports cloud-based service providers like Microsoft Azure, Sauce Labs, Browser Stack, Cross Browser Testing and AWS (Amazon Web Service). It is a framework that improves productivity.
See how Indium’s Test Automation Framework, iSAFE can enhance your Test Automation process
Advantages of using iSAFE
- Data-driven: It is one of the most important features of any framework as we can easily make the test scripts work for different sets of test data. iSAFE is based on data-driven test approach for complete testing and better handling of errors. So, datasets can be separated and fed from an external source. The test can be modified without making major changes to the code.
- Parallel Execution: With iSAFE, you can execute parallel tests across different operating systems, mobile devices and web browsers. You can verify your software for backward and forward compatibility to ensure the stability and adequate testing of the product.
- Continuous Integration: Jenkins is known for continuous integration. iSAFE supports the integration of Jenkins and thus expanding the automation scope. With the integration of Jenkins, tests can be scheduled and insights from the tests indicated. This saves a lot of time.
- Continuous Test Process: iSAFE allows for continuous and uninterrupted testing. Even when a test fails, the framework allows for the continual running of the scripts with report generation at the end. This helps to reduce test run downtime.
- API Testing: With iSAFE, you can test API for smooth communication between networks, databases, systems and applications. API testing must be included in automated frameworks as this will help in detecting problems quickly.
- Alerts: The iSAFE framework features SMS and email alerts. It sends you notifications for changes in test performance, test failure etc. It ensures that everyone in the team is kept aware of how the project is coming along. This improves collaboration among team members.
- Test Maintenance: Test maintenance is good for test automation. It involves test review, identification of stable areas, and breaking down of longer tests into smaller tests. iSAFE framework allows for faster and easier maintenance with quick identification of issues. iSAFE framework is flexible enough to ensure that codes are well-structured and test scripts are well-maintained.
- Intelligent Reporting: iSAFE provides intelligent reports with complete data analytics and visualizations. It can also generate custom HTML reports according to user requirements. The framework allows you to track historical data and monitor performance. This is important for Business Intelligence.
- Page Object Model: Page Object Model is a design pattern for reducing code duplication and improving test maintenance. Even with constant UI changes, Page Object Model allows the code to be changed within the page object instead of changing the test totally. iSAFE supports Page Object Model to separate element locators and tests while keeping the code intact and understandable.
- Reusability: Reusability is cost-effective and increases Return on Investment. iSAFE allows reusability to be initiated at several levels so that repeatable functionalities can be handled efficiently. With the iSAFE framework, users can optimize tests within code and data level, so that all hitches in the test process can be removed.
Is Your Application Secure? We’re here to help. Talk to our experts Now
With the agile and DevOps practices on the go, there is a need for faster releases and quality products.
You now know the many benefits of using a test automation framework.
If you are planning to automate your testing process, then choosing the right tool and automation framework is crucial.
iSAFE is a good starting point for a framework. This Ai based test automation framework is DevOps and cloud-ready with dynamic dashboards and “auto automation” features.
Around 70% of our clients either prefer or have used the iSAFE framework in the past.
Even the majority of our current clients are showing interest in the iSAFE framework. Talk to one of our automation experts, if you are interested in learning more about iSAFE.