- September 12, 2017
- Posted by: Abhay Das
- Category: Software testing
We have discussed a lot about the video game market. It is forecasted that the global games market will reach up to $ 108 Billion with a mobile gaming percentage of 42%.
The software with the largest number of tweaks, releases, updates, and version are games. Video games have to be updated in line with the customer sentiments and satisfaction. Thus, Gaming Testing is a segment where regression plays a very crucial role.
Major challenges faced while testing a game software are:
- Almost all games are based on mathematics, hence a focus should be taken to solve them for testing. It involves a huge amount of time when regression testing proves to be an ice breaking solution.
- Maintaining deliverables for all the possible game versions, releases and updated is a very difficult task
- Thinking like an end user of different age category and finding bugs thinking from the user’s perspective is a very difficult task.
- Time to market is an essence to a game’s success. Testing multiple game version at the same time becomes a very difficult task for the game testing team.
Steps for Regression Testing of a Game Software
Step 1: Smoke and Sanity Sounds familiar?? But smoke and sanity testing are essential to make sure the system or the platform under test is under desirable conditions. The main purpose is to make sure if the system is steady before the game testing process is originated.
Step 2: Requirements Analysis Testing requirements of the changes or updates to the code need to be meticulously analysed. Frequently users encounter bugs that are originated as a result of last-minute modifications which can be found in requirement analysis. Mandatory requirements for game testing must be cautiously assessed, and the test cases for regression testing services should be organized so that the fundamental features of the game software remain intact.
Looking for something cost-effective?
Expecting more from less? Check out Indium’s
Step 3: Identifying Test Cases for Critical Game Functions Of the different experiments intended for regression testing, the most important for clients and gamers are the Sanity test cases that check the essential usefulness of the gaming system. In this, regular test cases are then tested on priority. Then, the regression testing test cases are executed, as per the bandwidth and the requirement Integration testing and its test cases are highly significant and there has to be a sequence of regression test cases particularly while executing integration testing. The last moment bug fix, can disrupt the integration between numerous modules, in the tested game applications.
Step 4: Test Case Selection After prioritizing the test cases, the test cases are selected for regression test execution. The choice of these test cases are basically done in the part of frequent changes and based on the criticality and features. Test cases are run rigorously for the particular pieces of code that have suffered numerous changes repetitively.