- February 7, 2022
- Posted by: Indium
- Category: App Development
The Serverless Architecture market size was USD 7 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 20% between 2021 and 2027. Some of the key drivers of this growth include lower cost, easy configurability, and simplified troubleshooting as against the traditional approach. The architecture facilitates faster innovation and deployment through automated scaling, enterprise-level security, and better management of resources across different geographies. As businesses move towards cloud-based microservices to develop modern applications in a DevOps environment, the demand for serverless architecture solutions is on the rise.
A modern application is typically cloud-native, developed on serverless operational models using agile application development processes. This not only reduces the total cost of ownership but also accelerates innovation by leveraging automation.
Serverless technology eliminates the need for servers and infrastructure and replaces it with single-purpose APIs and web services that allow developers to build loosely coupled, scalable, and efficient architectures quickly. Some of the use cases for serverless applications include web applications, data processing, batch processing, and event ingestion.
What are the core components of building modern applications?
Some of the core components of modern application development include:
- Automation: Automation not only lends speed to the development and testing processes but also reduces errors.
- Continuous Integration (CI):
- Faster deployment of modern apps in development environments
- Improvements to code quality through its review at multiple stages and deploying it in small batches iteratively
- Increased security
- Improved reliability
- Simplifies infrastructure
- Reduces operational overheads
- Lower costs
- Improves efficiency of microservices-based architectures with distributed presence
- Continuous Delivery (CD): This reduces the time-to-market of new, revenue-generating features and facilitates continuous improvement over time. A development and release strategy, CD enables organizations to speed up delivery, lower risks, and reduce costs in modern application development. This requires a DevOps model of development with an automated build and test system that facilitates making changes to the codebase without manual intervention.
- Microservices and APIs: By separating the individual components from the application, microservices make it possible to change components without having to update the rest of the app. This helps with CI as well as scaling without overhauling the infrastructure.
- Security and Compliance: Authentication, Authorization, Auditing & Governance, and Validation are four essential parts of security and compliance and are integral to modern application development. This helps to prevent any malicious breaches as well as meet compliance requirements.
You might also be interested in: Application Modernization Strategies: A step-to-step guide
Modern Applications Development on AWS Serverless Architecture
AWS helps to maximize agility and speed up development by providing serverless technologies such as AWS Lambda, development tools including AWS Amplify and AWS CDK, and purpose-built databases such as Amazon DynamoDB. The containers are designed for speeding up innovation through the development of modern applications that can be developed, tested, and deployed quickly. To facilitate this, the serverless architecture from AWS offers services such as:
AWS CodeCommit: A fully-managed source control service, it securely stores code for each major version.
AWS CodePipeline: AWS CodePipeline enables the automation of the deployment of applications using CI and CD best practices. These pipelines are scalable, reliable, and cost effective, while helping to lower risks, accelerate time to market, and reduce the total cost of ownership.
AWS CodeStar: Jumpstart application development on AWS with ready-made templates and pre-configured application stacks. AWS CodeStar also automatically provides all the infrastructure required to power their applications, such as load balancing, auto-scaling, monitoring, and security controls.
Benefits of Serverless Architecture
Without a doubt, the first benefit is the lower cost of ownership as there is no infrastructure or server to invest in. It does not require provisioning, and so there is no risk of over or under-provisioning.
Secondly, codes can be executed in response to events in a parallel way, as a response to HTTP requests, events raised by other AWS services, or invoked directly using an API.
Users pay per use and do not have to pay for idling servers or unused capacity. What matters is the code performance, with faster execution costing cheaper to run.
Serverless compute functions are stateless and allow for quick scaling of the platform based on incoming events or requests.
Indium for Building Serverless Modern Applications
Indium Software, with more than 150 app migration/modernization and 250 CI/CD pipelines, has the required expertise and experience to help you develop modern applications using serverless architecture. As AWS partners, we align business strategic imperatives with cloud platform capabilities, leveraging AWS’s pre-fabricated toolsets to accelerate innovation and facilitate agile development for collaborative and customer-focused solutions.
Our AWS Offerings include:
- App Migration/Modernization: License Optimization, workload migration, Cloud-native app development, Monolith to Microservices, Containerization, Serverless
- Data & Analytics: EDW Modernization, Enterprise Data Lake, Distributed data processing, Real-time data processing, Data governance, BI/Analytics, AI/ML
- DevOps: DevOps toolchain identification, Maturity Assessments, Microservices, Containerization, CI/CD, Infra-as-a-code, Alerts & Monitoring, Log/Policy/Config management
Our range of AWS capabilities includes consulting, system integration, and industry solutions, enabling our clients to accelerate their digital transformation journey.