Addressing the commonly faced challenges by app developers in providing customers with a smooth and reliable user experience.
The apps market is growing in leaps and bounds and new features are being introduced almost every day to stay ahead of competition. Just to put it in perspective, the Apple App store has a base of nearly two million and Google play, over 2.2 million apps. Gartner predicts that an income of $77 billion will be generated in 2017 from over 268 billion mobile downloads. Compare this to $35 billion revenues in 2014, $45 billion in 2015, and $58 billion in 2016. The primary target is the age group falling between 18 and 24 years followed by 25 to 34 years.
Retaining customer interest and loyalty will be one of the greatest challenges for app developers as customers are spoilt for choice. Software performance testing services will become critical and a game changer determining who leads the pack.
The Challenges to Successful Implementation
App developers face several challenges that can hurt the performance of the app at various stages:
Three key mistakes that can turn away customers from retail / eCommerce mobile apps and website performance:
- Not optimizing the images
- Not compressing the files
- Not using the browser cache
Top 3 mobile app performance issues encountered in Cloud based load testing
- Failure to incorporate the small rendering/DOM quirks between browsers on Android and iOS
- Incompatibility between third party library interactions
Top five capabilities that need to be effectively addressed to avoid performance challenges that impact the business or revenue model of the mobile application
- Ability to segment the delay in application response times as server, network, and application delay
- Ability to translate application performance metrics into business metrics such as page views, conversions, employee productivity, and customer satisfaction
- Develop capabilities for correlating application performance metrics with appropriate business metrics (customer satisfaction, revenue growth, brand reputation, etc.)
- Identify parts of the enterprise infrastructure that are causing the deterioration of business services
- Ability to measure application performance from a business user’s perspective
Understanding and assessing the business impact of the performance issues pertaining to mobile applications
- One additional second of delay beyond defined baselines for performance of Mobile / Web applications can cause loss of business revenues. Studies show end users are willing to wait typically between 4 and 6 seconds for a page to open before they abandon a session and move on to the next app / website in their search.
- Brand perception drops among existing customers while also driving away new customers, thereby increasing the churn out ratio.
A comprehensive, planned performance testing process can help developers overcome all of these challenges before the release, thus enhancing user experience. Indium’s jumpstart kits and iAccelerate automation frameworks further reduces testing time, meeting the needs of app developers to deliver on time and with quality.
Indium’s performance testing process is aimed at increasing revenues, expanding user base and growing the business.